Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Dizziness

10/07/2009

Question:

Hi,

For the past 5 weeks or so, I have been experiencing periods of dizziness. No one seems to think this is anything serious, except me, as it is making my life very unpleasant. One doctor told me I had BPPV, another told me it was all in my head. My hearing does not seem to be affected, although at times there does seem to be a fullness in my right ear. I"ve had my eyes checked and they are fine, I had bloodwork and everything came back ok.

What can I do to get rid of the dizziness? I have been taking ginger supplements but don`t know that they help all that much. I have to work and take care of a small child, so I can`t be too drowsy.

Thanks

Answer:

You should see an otolaryngologist. You will need an audiogram and an ENG. You most likely will not need medication or surgery. Vestibular physical therapy is a good option for most people.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program