Spine and Back Health

Neck Cracking

10/13/2009

Question:

I have a slight nuisance of a problem, I am 48 years old, when I keep my head in still position for a short time, it becomes difficult to move my head easily, often times I have to force the movement which generally results in a severe crack at the base of my head and neck. It causes discomfort from the feeling and it never lasts very long, Is this something I should be concerned about or will it just pass?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery