Urinary Disorders

Urinary Tract Infection

I suspect that I had urinary tract infection. My doctor took a urine sample and checked it with dipstick and said everything is normal. Is it possible that everything is normal even though I have symptoms that are similar to urinary tract infection? Please tell me what to do in this case?

The dipstick chemical urinalysis checks for several urine components including white blood cells (inflammation) and nitrites ( a by-product of bacterial metabolism). The dipstick is usually sensitive to infection. In cases where the dipstick is positive or equivocal, urine can be submitted for culture and sensitivity- culture and sensitivity is not accurate if you are taking antibiotics at the time of testing. Other causes for urinary tract discomfort may require cystoscopy. If you are a male, prostatitis may be missed by dipstick evaluation- requires prostate exam for expressed prostatic secretions.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology