Children's Health

6-Year-Old With Pubic Hair

03/25/2010

Question:

I have a 6 year old daughter with pubic hair already. She has had an odor problem now for about a year and she just turned 6 in July (2). Can you PLEASE help me! Do I need to take her in to get checked out? Maybe she has a problem with her body that may need to get checked.

Thank you, A concerned single mother.

Answer:

Thank you for your question about signs of early puberty. This is a concern for many parents and one that should be considered in children with any signs of early puberty. Use this information to speak to your doctor about your concerns and decide if any further tests should be completed.

Typical signs of early puberty in girls include:

Typical signs of late puberty include: If ANY of these changes start before age 8 it is important to see your doctor. However many children will develop body odor without other signs of puberty, and this may NOT be associated with early puberty.

If no other signs of development are occurring after a discussion and visit with your provider, it may be normal and can be treated with typical care such as frequent bathing and use of deodorant.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Allison A Macerollo, MD Allison A Macerollo, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine