Athletic Training

Torn Ligament: Surgery or Not?

10/12/2009

Question:

I am 61 yr female. Had an MRI done and was told I have a torn ligament. At the day of appointment was told to take 9 ibprofens and consider rehabilitation therapy but I asked for MRI that same day(which the doctor said I could do the first then maybe MRI later)due to I took entire day off of work. That Thurs was told I had inflammation and continue as before but by Monday I could hardly walk or put my foot down. Called doctor that day and nurse said I had the torn cartlidge, come in for cortizone shot. That helped tremdenously and I continued with pills and did my own therapy. Everything was great but every once in a while I would get a little pain, letting me know that it was still there. I am now out of work and no insurance. Should I contact my doctor to see if surgery needs to be done or is it necessary? I need to find a job but want to know if this will still remain hurting or will ever heal?

Answer:

I am glad to hear that your symptoms are doing better. 

I would follow up with your physician by phone and let them know how you are doing. Let them know what your new circumstances are regarding surgery and get their opinion as to how to progress.  Since you are feeling better, they may have you continue with your activity as you tolerate. They may however, based on the results of your MRI, give you some restrictions for activity. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences