Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Gum Blister

10/13/2009

Question:

I have a small white blister just above my "fang" tooth. It is completely painless and has been present for about 6 months. It occasionally pops when I brush my teeth, and reforms about a week a later. I have no toothache whatsoever.

I recently started visiting a new dentist, who I don`t entirely trust. He said I have no cavity, he wants me to pay $100 for a special injection that he says will cure possible infection that is causing the gum blister.

What could be causing the blister, and should I pay for this injection?

Answer:

The blister you describe is unusual enough that I would need additional information to provide much useful information. Since it is not clear what this gum blister may represent, I recommend that you seek a second opinion from a dental specialist, such as a periodontist (specialist in gum disease), an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (specialist in jaw surgery, including biopsy of unusual "blister") or an oral and maxillofacial pathologist (a specialist in the diagnosis of oral lesions).

Good luck!

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration