Women's Health

Please Help

11/16/2009

Question:

I have read up on many of the articles on vaginal discharge but none have helped me. My discharge has always been a lot, thick, white and most of the time `clotted`. I always wear panty liners and normally it doesnt bother me that much as I have know nothing else ever since it started before my first period when I was 15.

Recently I noticed that sometimes I do have a slight discomfort when having intercourse or light brown discharge, in some case with little specs of blood in it, like during your period.

I went to the doctor and after she examined me, made the most disgusting face like I was a leper (and compared my discharge with clotted cream, nice) she told me I had thrush. Initially before examining me she said that it could be that I was ovulating when the discomfort occured which did make sense to me as it always is about a week before my period.

Personally I dont believe that it is thrush as I have none of the other sympthoms. I dont have a rash, itch, pain during sex, irritation. none. On top of that my dicharge has always been the same to me. She did prescribed me tablets and cream but so far I havent gone to the pharmacy to pick them up as I dont believe that is the case but I do feel like I am an old ball and do worry a bit about the light brown/spots of blood discharge.

Can you please help me as I dont like taking unnecessary meds.

Answer:

Most often a light brown vaginal discharge with spots of blood in it is due to either an irritation of the cervix (cervicitis) or a 'left over' discharge from the uterus (menses). If this recurs, and you haven't had a Pap smear in over a year, it would be worthwhile getting a Pap smear.

The white discharge you are describing sure does sound like 'thrush' - this is normally due to an overgrowth of yeast that is normally in the vagina. Although it can cause symptoms, I've seen this in many women who do not have itching. Your choices are to 1) trust your doctor and take the medicine, or 2) get a second opinion from another doctor who specializes in women's health.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

W. Fred Miser, MD W. Fred Miser, MD
Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Director of Ohio State Medicine Residency Program