Eye and Vision Care

Eye Movement with No Physical Eye Jumping

11/16/2009

Question:

Hello-I have MS, but my eyes jump continuously. My husband says he sees no movement when they are doing it. I`m sure it is related to my disease, but I would like some assistance in helping to stop this.

Answer:

Involuntary eye movements known as nystagmus is one of the eye complications that can occur due to multiple sclerosis. Sometimes these eye movements are small (and may explain why your husband does not notice them) but can still be visually disturbing.

I recommend that you first see your eye doctor to confirm that nystagmus is causing your vision problems. Then, you, your eye doctor, and your neurologist can work together to determine if the nystagmus is caused by MS and to determine the best treatment. Sometimes the condition and/or the symptoms can lessen over time without treatment. There are also medications that have been effective in treating this condition.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry