Colorectal Diseases

After a sphyncterotomy

11/02/2009

Question:

I am a 30 year old male that had a sphyncterotomy 4 months ago. I had an anal fissure and this was the prcedure my doctor performed. However, the pain gain got better but then about 3 months after surgery I was still having bleeding and pussing come from my anus. My doctor looked at it and could not see anything out of the norm except for a little part that didn`t heal yet. So he carterized it with some silver nitrate. That has not worked. I have hard swelling down one side of my and into my taint area. It gets really sore sometimes. Sometimes it leaks, pusses or bleeds and sometimes it is not so bad. Not sure what to do here and need help. Thanks

Answer:

You may have developed an abscess in your surgical site. This can be difficult to see in the office, and may require an exam under anesthesia to clearly delineate.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division