Spine and Back Health

Anterior Wedging Fracture of T3, T4 & T5

10/14/2009

Question:

My son was diagnoised with Anterior Wedging Fracture of T3, T4 & T5 after a skateboard accident a little over a year ago. He was seen by an orthopedic and treated with Anti-inflammatory meds and rest. Since then he has complained of back pain every once in a while. But, for the past 2 months his complaints have increased and he told me yesterday that it hurts to bend over and when he sits for a long period of time, he can hardly get up. He turned 13 a few months ago and I have noticed that he is going through a growth state. Could this be causing the pain?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site we try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your son's symptoms.

Certainly it can be difficult to determine the source of pain in a juvenile who is actively growing. I would recommend that you seek an opinion from a pediatric spinal surgeon, either a pediatric neurosurgeon or a pediatric orthopedic surgeon who specializes specifically in spinal surgery in children. These can be hard to find, depending on where you live. Shriner's hospitals often have very good pediatric spine specialists. 

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery