Gynecology

Pain with orgasm

12/08/2009

Question:

I am a 37 year old female with a long history of endometriosis and adhesions. I had a complete hysterectomy one year ago. Along with the hysterectomy I had my bladder lifted. Since the surgery I have absolutely no interest in sex (none) and the rare occurance when I do have a sexual urge my orgasms are very painful. Which was never the case before the surgery. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Sexual desire is related to many factors and related in complex ways. The most important of these are psycho/social like emotional stress, relationships, etc. If your ovaries were preserved (I assume so since you only had a hysterectomy) then you should have enough estrogen. It is related to vaginal dryness and vaginal elasticity. If your ovaries where removed, you should be on estrogen replacement. There are some women who have decreased amounts of testosterone after surgery and might be helped with testosterone replacement. It is possible that you have some scarring from the surgery that is causing pain with orgasm as you tense some of the muscles of the abdomen and pelvis.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education