Gynecology

Young and distressed!

11/10/2009

Question:

I am 29 years old and have had heavy periods all of my life. After I had my son, which was a C- section. My periods went from 8 days to 5 days and much lighter than before. Recently, My periods began to be 9 days and very heavy. I went to the doctor and got an ultrasound. My results looked as if I had adenomyosis (I will need more test) or described as diffused. All they recommended is that I get on birth control. I was good for the first 2 months then the 3rd month, I started having periods every two weeks. The 4th month, I wazs almost bleeding for 1 month. The bleeding is finally under control (longer story). The problem is I feel lost. I do not know what I have or what test I should ask the doctor to perform. It is affecting my life dramatically. PLEASE HELP!

Answer:

Adenomyosis is a condition where the lining of the uterus grows into the muscle of the uterus making it boggy, painful and prone to heavier bleeding. It is a difficult diagnosis to make based solely on physical exam. The ultrasound can show findings consistent with adenomyosis, but is not very sensitive either. An MRI is one of the best tests to make the diagnosis, but still isn't perfect. Most importantly, your bleeding seems to be controlled by the birth control pills. That is one of the first treatments of heavy bleeding and if it works, there is really no need for a more definitive test for adenomyosis, since the treatment is the same.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education