Sports Medicine

Bruised foot

10/22/2009

Question:

I was in my storage looking through boxes and a plastic container that had books in it slipped and fall on my foot. I went to the hospital and they told me it wasn`t broken and put me in a black shoe. The swelling is still there and the brusing hasn`t changes colors yet. The box hit my middle phalanges, and that part still feels numb. But there are brusing on my middle toes and now the outside of my foot is brusied too. I went to another doctor and they took another XRay nothing new execpt for the bruse on the outside of my foot. Could I have a hairline fracture that the xray can`t see? It has been a week and my foot still painful, can`t walk in regular shoes and still brused.

Answer:

It can take up to two weeks for a hairline or stress fracture to appear. That said it is also possible that your discomfort is from the severe contusion that you suffered and will take some time for the soft tissues to repair. Make sure that you have a full range of motion in your foot and follow your foot specialists advice. If you did not see a foot specialist or someone who deals with foot trauma, that would be advisable.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery