Eye and Vision Care

Eye Twitch

10/26/2009

Question:

I have had an eye twitch in my right eye. I have no vision problem, need no corrective devices other than readers (in bad lighting). My daughter noticed a bump on the white of the same eye that has been twitching. What do you think this is?

Answer:

Eye twitching, also called myokymia, is usually a condition that is not serious and can be caused by a number of triggers, especially stress, lack of sleep, and increased caffeine intake.

However, some neurological conditions may also lead to eyelid twitching. If the eyelid twitching persists or affects the entire side of your face, I recommend seeing an eye care physician to properly examine your eyes and diagnose the source of the twitching.

Some more common bumps found on the white part of the eye include retention cysts and pinguecula. Retention cysts are clear, fluid-filled sacs that may come about due to irritation or rubbing of the eye. Usually retention cysts require no treatment and resolve on their own. Pinguecula are yellow or white bumps caused by chronic UV exposure from the sunlight.

I recommend scheduling an appointment with your eye doctor, who would be better able to discuss your actual condition and if there are any available treatment options.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry