Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Pain in left side of neck..

10/27/2009

Question:

I have a tendency to get sore throats a lot, but I never just get a small one - everytime I go to a doctor they hesitate to test on me because it would be too painful. I also have a weak immune system, so I`m typically sick even more often. I saw a neurologist for a while, where I was tested for MS due to some body numbness, etc.

However, he said he could no longer treat my symptoms when he found a lymph node swollen on the left side right above my collarbone. I`d never noticed it before because it wasn`t painful, but it`s very hard and unable to be moved. It only got sore after he continued to poke at it.

It`s been a few weeks, and since then I`ve had some neck pains - as well as several lymph nodes swelling on the left side. There isn`t a sore throat though, which is what concerns me .

I`m not sure if it`s relevant, but I also got a terrible sore on the same side of my neck that tried to spread to my shoulder. The doctor at the ER didn`t know what it was, but my neurologist was concerned.. the scar alone is about the size of a half dollar and looks like a clump of spots.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Answer:

Although I cannot tell you exactly what is going on, anytime someone has an enlarged lymph node in the neck that is persistent over several weeks, it should be evaluated and possibly biopsied by an ENT physician.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center