Athletic Training

Sprained Ankle Getting Worse

10/22/2009

Question:

I injured my ankle about a month ago. I went to the hospital and had an x-ray done, but they said that it was just a severe sprain. They gave me an air splint and told me to walk as tolerated. I have been walking on it for about 3 weeks and it has started re-bruising and swelling and is now getting to where I`m having more problems walking on it. The pain has returned and is now constant. Sometimes if i turn it a certain way i can feel what seems like two parts inside my ankle "pop" and a horrible pain will follow. I`m afraid that I have a fracture instead of a sprain and I`m going to hurt myself a lot more if I keep walking on it without the proper treatment. You`re advice is greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Given the fact that it has been 3 weeks and that the symptoms seem to be worsening, a return to your physician and possibly a consult with an orthopedic or sports medicine specialist seems to be warranted.  They may want to perform further evaluations and testing to determine the source of your problem. Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Robert W Sweeney, MS, ATC Robert W Sweeney, MS, ATC
Athletic Trainer
Clnical Instructor
The School of Allied Medical Proffesions