Gynecology

Thick uterine wall

10/27/2009

Question:

my dr said my uterine wall was thick and he is wanting to do a D&C and I have not had a recent miscarriage or irregular cycles the only complaint is very painful cramps. he found this during an ultrasound and is this a necessary procedure and what causes the wall to become thick?

Answer:

Uterine wall thickness is usually due to the lining of the uterus. It is most important in postmenopausal women since they should have a lining thickness of less than 5 millimeters. It would be important to know if he is talking about your uterine wall or lining. You could have a uterine polyp that would show a focal thickening of the uterine lining. A D&C could help to remove that. Unless he suspects a polyp or a lining that is so thick it might be precancerous, I am unsure as to the benefit of the D&C for cramping. Depending on your age and health, the first line of treatment for painful periods is scheduled nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (like ibuprofen). Scheduled means they are taken at the beginning of the period, before the pain starts and then taken every 4-6 hours for the first 1-3 days. Hormonal regulation with hormonal birth control can also help reduce the pain.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education