Thick uterine wall

my dr said my uterine wall was thick and he is wanting to do a D&C and I have not had a recent miscarriage or irregular cycles the only complaint is very painful cramps. he found this during an ultrasound and is this a necessary procedure and what causes the wall to become thick?

Uterine wall thickness is usually due to the lining of the uterus. It is most important in postmenopausal women since they should have a lining thickness of less than 5 millimeters. It would be important to know if he is talking about your uterine wall or lining. You could have a uterine polyp that would show a focal thickening of the uterine lining. A D&C could help to remove that. Unless he suspects a polyp or a lining that is so thick it might be precancerous, I am unsure as to the benefit of the D&C for cramping. Depending on your age and health, the first line of treatment for painful periods is scheduled nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (like ibuprofen). Scheduled means they are taken at the beginning of the period, before the pain starts and then taken every 4-6 hours for the first 1-3 days. Hormonal regulation with hormonal birth control can also help reduce the pain.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education