Women's Health

Sexual Health

10/26/2009

Question:

Is it unhealthy to use plastic bottles as a sexual toy? I had surgery on a pituitary gland that was next to my urethra. its been over a year and now the area is almost hard. it hurts to do anything sexual. it hurts the worst close to my period. and i wanted to know if it had to do with using plastic bottles as sex toys? its an embarrassing question.. so i am hoping you can answer.

Answer:

This is a really great question. Plastic bottles have several problems. One is that it is hard to clean them adequately so that you do not get an infection. Usually the bottles have ridges that trap bacteria and fungus, so that could be part of the problem with the irritation you are feeling.

The other problem with them is that they crack and have a sharp edge that can cause cuts and irritation. For that reason, I don't recommend them.

A good quality dildo would be a better choice. They are made of material that won't crack, are easy to clean and are anatomically designed to give better sexual gratification.

I am concerned that you are still having problems after your surgery (I wonder if it was the bartholin gland as the pituitary gland is in your head) Nevertheless, you should have it checked. It sounds to me like you might have a chronic infection or irritation that has to be fixed. Please see a provider for some help with this. Thanks for having the courage to ask an important question! Hope this helps.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Professor of Clinical Nursing