Mouth Diseases

Large Bump on Plate Mouth

10/26/2009

Question:

hello,i am asking this in regards to my mom about 6months ago she noticed a bump on the palate of her mouth.it has since then gotten bigger...its very smooth and not painfull.she will not go to the doctors over it and it has become a big concern to my father and i.she used to be a smoker and quit a year ago and she also has a fulse teeth plate.the lump is more to the back of the roof of her mouth.

Answer:

There are several conditions that can produce a bump on the roof of the mouth and it would not be easy to discuss them all without seeing your mother or having a few more details.

Many are benign growths but some are malignant (forms of cancer). I share you and your father's concern as to what it might be. The only way to find out is for her to see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (oral surgeon).

The surgeon will examine the bump and likely perform a biopsy procedure (minor surgery) where the roof of the mouth is made numb with local anesthetic and a piece of the "bump" is removed. This piece is then sent to a pathology lab where it is processed and examined under a microscope to determine the diagnosis.

Once a diagnosis is made, then appropriate treatment can be scheduled. You should encourage your mother to make her appointment as soon as conveniently possible. Even for benign tumors, it is always better to be treated earlier rather than later as the growth will only have more time to become even bigger. Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration