Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Sarcoidosis in the Eye



Our 13 year old son was diag with Sarcoidosis in his eye. ACE was 117. He has been on Methotrexate injections (1mm weekly) for 4 mos and ACE is now 78. Granulomas have reduced in size and his vision in that eye has improved some. No one seems to know much about what to do next. Do we maintain the Methotrexate at same dose? Where can we find an expert to guide us? Is it safe to switch to pills?


Dear Sir/Madam, In addition to continued follow up with an ophthalmologist, your son needs to establish with a doctor experienced in the care of sarcoidosis patients.

Methotrexate is a reasonable choice for a 13 year old, however, the exposure to methotrexate or any other drug should be limited as much as possible. Such decisions have to be balanced against the risk of inadequately treating the sarcoidosis (e.g., permanent loss of vision), and should be made by the doctor caring for your son.

You can find a doctor in your area by searching the "web" (e.g., Google) or using the "Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research" website, which includes access to a number of informative websites, including a list of sarcoidosis care providers in your area (see the "Patient Info" drop down). This is not a comprehensive list, but is a good starting point.

Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Related Resources:

Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research

For more information:

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University