Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Swelling on Outside of My Cheek

10/26/2009

Question:

I had a cavity repair on my front left tooth, 2nd from the middle about 4 weeks ago. The was no complications and I have no pain, but since then my left cheek has been slightly swollen on the outside of my face. The swelling is along the jaw line mostly towards the back of my face. I can feel a small round lump in the tissue of my cheek just above the jaw bone at the very back of my mounth. It is only sore when I push on it. Could this be a dental issue or just happened after my dental work? Should I ask my dentist or my DR. about it?

Answer:

What you are describing sounds very much like a blocked salivary gland. I would expect the small round lump to be a little higher in the cheek. Does it get bigger when you eat? Depending on the method of anesthetic, you could have a residual bruise that can cause some swelling as well. Either way, I would follow up with your dentist. Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry