Athletic Training

Undereating

11/25/2009

Question:

Hello. I am a 16 year old mens high school cross country runner. In the past I have struggled with an eating disorder. I eat very healthy and often find myself limiting my fat intake and counting calories. I run approx. 6 - 8 miles a day (excluding sunday - rest) and eat around 2500-2800 calories a day. Could this lead to a small amount of excess fat on the stomach? Could I be in starvation mode and my body is latching on to some fat? How much would you recommend I eat? Also, could limiting my fat intake negatively effect my performance during races? Thank you very much for your help.

Answer:

Thank you for using NetWellness. However I do not believe that I have enough information to answer your question. You should seek the advice of a physician and a Licensed Dietitian. They should be able to provide you with better individual education and an assessment to help you meet your goals. Good luck to you!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Courtney D Siegel, MEd, ATC Courtney D Siegel, MEd, ATC
Assistant Athletic Trainer
Instructor of Athletic Training