Eye and Vision Care

Blue Ring Around the Eye

10/28/2009

Question:

I have blue ring around my iris. I am concerned. I have high blood pressure and take a water pill for that, and it is under control. Will I go blind? Will my eye continue to turn blue or white. What can I do to protect my eyes. I read that I could have cholesterol deposits in the surface of my cornea. Is that a sure sign that I have to take cholesterol medication? The eye doctor does not seem concerned. I just took a blood test for cholesterol and waiting for the results. It was 135 last year. At the moment I am not taking medication for that. Should I take some kind of vitamin for my eyes? I will know in two days the results of my blood test. Will medication correct the problem?

Answer:

I obviously cannot make a definitive diagnosis or recommend a specific treatment without examining you. All of your questions should be directed to the doctor who knows your eyes and medical history the best.

It is possible that the eye's white part (the sclera) around your iris is thinning and normal blood vessels underneath it are becoming more visible. This aging change may be accelerated by inflammation inside the eye and/or even nutritional deficits. 

Your eye doctor will be able to tell you if this change in color will eventually affect your vision. It usually does not; but it is a good idea to have it checked at least once or twice a year. 

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry