Gynecology

Does a urine culture screen for chlamydia?

11/10/2009

Question:

Hi there,

This past September, I went to a doctor because of what seemed to be a pretty bad bladder infection. He prescribed antibiotics and sent my urine sample off to culture, and I didn`t hear anything back. Usually no news is good news with Doctors so I didn`t inquire further.

About a week ago, an ex from about a year ago informed me that he had just been told he had chlamydia. Everything I have read tells me that he is probably in the early stages of infection if he is feeling the symptoms, and that I am likely safe. I haven`t felt any symptoms, but I know that doesn`t necessarily mean I`m clear.

My question is, specifically: Would my urine culture have indicated chlamydia as the infection, rather than a UTI?? And, if so, would I likely have been contacted with those results?

This is an old enough ex that I am quite confident he contracted the chlamydia after we broke up, but it never hurts to ask.

Thank you.

Answer:

The urine test for chlamydia is a very sensitive test and is very accurate. The problem is that if you were screened for a urinary tract infection, they probably didn't screen for chlamydia. That is a separate urine test than the one you had for urinary tract infection. You should be screened not only for chlamydia, but also for gonorrhea, hepatitis, syphilis and HIV too.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education