Women's Health

Chlamydia, or a False Alarm??

This past September, I went to a doctor because of what seemed to be a pretty bad bladder infection. He prescribed antibiotics and sent my urine sample off to culture, and I didn`t hear anything back. Usually no news is good news with Doctors so I didn`t inquire further.

About a week ago, an ex from about a year ago informed me that he had just been told he had chlamydia. Everything I have read tells me that he is probably in the early stages of infection if he is feeling the symptoms, and that I am likely safe. I haven`t felt any symptoms, but I know that doesn`t necessarily mean I`m clear. I had a pap test during the summer, too, so that makes it a

My questions, specifically: Do paps automatically check for STDs, or was there a form I was supposed to fill out...? Would my urine culture have indicated chlamydia as the infection, rather than a UTI?? And, if so, would I likely have been contacted with those results?

This is an old enough ex that I am quite confident he contracted the chlamydia after we broke up, but it never hurts to ask.

Thank you.

Please follow up with your doctor and have gonorrhea and chlamydia tested specifically. A urine test does not check for gonorrhea and chlamydia unless specified. A Pap smear tests only for cervical cancer. Sometimes Trichomonas, bacterial vaginosis, or yeast can be seen. I hope this helped.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Riza T Conroy, MD Riza T Conroy, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine