Pulmonary Fibrosis

Time to Test for IPF?

11/02/2009

Question:

I have a family history of IPF (father, uncle, aunts, brother). Have fatigue, mild dypsnea, dry cough, some weight loss. Recent heart murmur detected and echo confirmed pulmonary regurgitation but pressure, chambers, tc. were all normal. EGD turned up asymptomatic gerd when they were looking for cause of anemia (which they didn`t find). Age 48. Is it time to go for the HRCT? It`s hard to tell if I

Answer:

In about 10-20% of patients with IPF, it is an inherited disease. At present, genetic testing can only identify a minority of patients with inherited IPF.

Patients with a strong family history are advised to inform their physician. If otherwise unexplained shortness of breath, cough, or abnormal breath sounds develop, then seeing a pulmonologist and getting pulmonary function tests and/or a chest CT scan is warranted. Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine