Gum Diseases

Working with a Periodontist

11/13/2009

Question:

Hi! I am having a lot of problems with my gums. The last few months they have become terribly swollen , sore and I have some over-growth on some. I am a 54 year old woman and the Endro. dr. has run some blood tests. One blood test came back and said that my IGF-1 is high and he wanted me to have the test again. What I have read on this test is that it is related to Pituitary problem and possibly a pituitary tumor (usuaally benign). I wanted to know if Insulin-growth factor -1 could be causing all of my gum problems. My WBC and RBC is okay so it is not leukemia. My body has also dropped DHEA and Pregnonlone so I am taking supplements. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Answer:

There is definitely a need for a consultation between your endocrinologist and periodontist. Hormonal changes may affect gingival health. This may be due to a malfunction of an important gland like pituitary gland and/or menopause related issues.

It is very hard for me to give detailed information related to your differential diagnosis and necessary treatment. I am sure that your periodontist is in touch with your MD. Thank you for visiting NetWellness.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology