Digestive Disorders

Collagenous Colitis - What Can I Do About It?

01/06/2010

Question:

I have had this complaint for decades (it was only diagnosed last year) and am slowly getting results from restricting my diet mainly - no medication has worked for long. I am avoiding fats and oils, gluten, salicylates and dairy foods so my diet is absurdly restricted. I still get symptoms and am struggling a bit. Surprisingly I still have energy and my health is/seems otherwise ok. I take a daily multivitamin, + calcium, + magnesium. I see a gastroenterologist regularly as well as a dietician. What else can I do? I`d be grateful for any help. Thank you.

Answer:

It sounds like you're doing all of the right things. There are multiple medications used for treatment for collagenous colitis from antidiarrheal medications to antibiotics to other medications that are more commonly used for ulcerative colitis and Crohns disease but may also work in more severe cases of collagenous colitis. You may already be using some of these now. The only other thing you may want to try is to avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs). There's a possible link to microscopic colitis and these medications.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine