Women's Health

Fatigue, Lack of Protein

11/11/2009

Question:

For the past few years I have needed 100 grams of animal protein a day in order to stay healthy. If I do not receive this amount I get flu like symptoms (dizziness, fatigue, lethargy, head aches, etc).

These symptoms continue and worsen until I begin eating animal protein again. Red cross won`t take my blood, my blood cells aren`t healthy enough to donate plasma, but every time I go to a doctor they say my blood is fine and maybe it`s anemia.

I don`t think I`m fine if I need this much protein every day.

Also, sometimes I bruise easily, and if I lift anything (although not that heavy) my ribs feel bruised (although I`m an active person who walks 4 miles for exercise almost every day).

Do you have any advice on what tests I should get from the doctors? Years ago they tested my kidneys and said my kidneys were leaking protein, but that the other kidney was compensating.

Another doctor said my fat pads in my inner ear were off, causing my equilibrium to be off balance, hence I needed more protein.

I`m almost hypoglycemic. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness.  Unfortunately, it is not that simple to determine what a person needs without reviewing lab tests in the past, current vital signs, etc. This could be a deficiency of B vitamins, but it is not possible to be certain without an exam and tests appropriate for the findings on the exam. 

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine