Cystic Fibrosis

CF at 30?

01/11/2010

Question:

I just turned 30 and have had a life of constant sinus infections - now being at least once a month, fatigue to the point where I am taking adderall, very low blood pressure, extreme difficulty with digestive system that got worse with age including painful gas bloating, vomiting, all of which would keep me up through the night and large lumpy and/or skinny very light colored floating stool, over sweating, very thin in weight and can eat and eat and not gain, I am NOT coughing though unless I get a sinus infection, at least once a week I will feel a deflating sensation that makes me loose my breath for a couple of seconds. On my father`s side, my Aunt and Uncle died in their mid thirties of CF. I have never been tested for it thinking it would have been worse by now if I had it. Vermont is the only state that does not have a CF clinic/specialists...could I get accurate testing and help by a pulmonary physician? Should I worry about it at the age of 30? Thank you.

Answer:

Your pulmonary symptoms do not sound like CF, but sinuses can be. With intestinal symptoms and sinus symptoms, CF is at least a consideration. Sweat chloride testing (a CF skin test) is only accurately done at a CF certified lab. Ambry Corporation does extensive and complete genetic testing from blood, and this can be sent by any lab, though neither genetics nor sweat chloride without evaluation by an expert is really satisfactory.

I think it might be worth your time to see a physician with good experience in CF diagnosis and care, probably at an accredited center. Your age is NOT a reason to not do the testing.

Go to the Cystic Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

John S Heintz, MD John S Heintz, MD
Former Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics