Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Penile Adhesion in 3 Month Old

11/16/2009

Question:

Doctor, My 3 month old has a penile adhesion. It is only on the top of his penis where the skin of the shaft that was cut has adhered to the base of his penis head. It is very healed and cannot be corrected by pulling back the skin on the shaft. Do you know how this will be corrected or if this can be corrected in an in-office procedure as opposed to a general anesthetic surgery? i would prefer to get this taken care of now, as I know many people who have had this problem with their sons and were told to just wait it out and it would correct itself, which it never did. Thanks so much!

Answer:

If it is a filmy adhesion, it will eventually come apart, but if it is a fibrous skin bridge, it will need to be cut or released surgically. If it is a skin bridge and narrow, it can be cut in the office, but if it is broad, it is safer under anesthesia.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology