Kidney Diseases

Kidney Scar & One Kidney Smaller Than Other

11/16/2009

Question:

I`m worried. I am 25 year old, female, 50kg, 150cm. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have done CT scan The doctor says my kidney has a scar and the kidney is smaller than other. I`m under medication Amlodipine Besylate 10 mg, lovastatin 20mg, metaprolol 100mg. I`m worried if they are going to remove the kidney. 1) I want to know what food I should eat and what should I avoid? 2) Any herb that can improve my kidney? 3)What kinds of fruits and vegetable should I eat?

Answer:

Based on what you told me I see no reason to remove the kidney. I don't have any suggestions for herbs. Your diet shoulod be low in salt and fat. You should seek recommendation from your doctor. If you prefer seeking your own diet I would recommend the DASH diet. You can find infomation on this at the library or on the internet.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine