Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Instant Beeding Mouth Blisters

11/11/2009

Question:

Hi After reading a response in connection to instant bleeding mouth blisters, I have had this for 10 years , I now am being sent to see an oral surgeon for biopsy, allergy testing, and a bowel scan in relation to Chrons diease. I was also told by my dentist that it could also be a hormone inbalance could this be a factor. I get no warning as to when or what starts it but the bleeding is lasting longer and the blisters are getting bigger, it is usually at the back of my mouth and that area is dark yellow. I am 46, female. I am concerned about the biopsy, not getting much reasureance. The bleeding is very embarassing when it happens in public.

Answer:

From your description, it would be unlikely that this condition is related to Crohn's disease, allergy or hormonal imbalance. Ideally, you should be evaluated by an oral pathologist in order to get a better idea of what is going on. The oral pathologist may request that an oral surgeon perform a biopsy. If you have a biopsy done, make sure that the oral surgeon sends the tissue to an oral pathology laboratory for examination.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology