Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Enzymatic Toothpaste

11/30/2009

Question:

Why is enzymatic toothpaste good for dogs but not for people?

Answer:

This was just in one of our dental hygiene magazines last night. Funny timing. It is from the latest Dimensions: Human toothpaste formulations should be avoided because they contain fluoride and foaming agents that may cause stomach upset in cats and dogs. 18 enzymatic toothpastes designed specifically for use on dogs and cats are available. They contain glucose oxidase and lactoperoxidase, which combine with water and oxygen in saliva to form hypothiocyanite, an ion that is produced naturally in canine and human saliva and has antibacterial activity. Clients can also encourage good oral health by choosing appropriate diets, toys, treats, and chews. I'm not sure why enzymatic toothpaste is not used by humans, though.

Additional Information as of May 3, 2010:
I asked numerous people here in the dental school and also 2 outside vets. None of them knew of a toothpaste for humans similar to enzymatic toothpaste that was FDA-approved.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

Wendy  J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS Wendy J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene