Women's Health

6 Weeks No Period, Negative Pregnacy Tests

11/11/2009

Question:

This is my 6th week of not having a period, i was on birth control and had missed a couple of days taking the pill, so i threw out that pack and was going to start back up with a new pack when i got my next period (thats what the directions said to do that came with the birth control). I havent started since, and me and my husband were having sex during that time. I did have bleeding when i stopped taking the pill but it was light and really short. I took a pregnancy test once i missed my period date and it came back negative. I feel like i have been having symptoms of pregnancy like headaches, nausea, fatigue, some slight cramping, weird feelings in my stomach, and now i can tell i have gained weight in my stomach. I dont know if stopping the pill messed my cycle up and thats why i am late or the pregnancy tests just arent accurate.

Answer:

You should repeat the urine pregnancy test on your first morning's urine. If this is negative and you still haven't gotten a period, then you should see your health care provider to have a blood pregnancy test.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology