Prostate Cancer

Prostate Biopsy and Change in Ejaculate

12/22/2009

Question:

I had a prostate biopsy three weeks ago. Thankfully it was benign but not without problems. I developed an infection and have needed to take antibiotics. Three weeks later my ejaculate is not normal. The color is clear and the consistency is watery. What happened to the normal white sticky ejaculate? 

Answer:

Your change in ejaculate is not common following prostate biopsy (common following prostate biopsy is discoloration of the ejaculate to red-brown tinge due to blood from the prostatic glands mixed with the white-sticky fluid which comes from the seminal vesicles through the ejaculatory ducts that traverse the prostate gland before emptying into the prostatic urethra). The loss of white-sticky may be temporary pending recovery from any swelling or injury which has blocked the ejaculatory ducts. We can not "see" ejaculatory ducts on transrectal ultrasound under normal circumstances. Therefore, we can not aim the biopsy away from the ejaculatory ducts. In general, the peripheral zone is the target of prostate biopsies and this usually will miss the ejaculatory ducts. You should discuss with your urologist if this does not resolve (4-6 weeks).

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology