Mouth Diseases

Severe Pain, Mostly in Tongue

11/19/2009

Question:

I hope you can help. I have severe pain, mostly on both sides of my tongue, but the pain is much worse on one side. I can see a diffuse swelling, sort of like a bump, but no sore, and no canker sore. I also have a burning tongue, but I don`t know if that`s a separate issue, or part of the same issue. The pain on the side of my tongue is VERY severe, and I`m having trouble eating and talking. Even if a tooth scrapes against it, it`s very painful. My ENT looked at it, but said he couldn`t see anything. I, however, can see a bump on that one side, and in the beginning (several months ago), I could see a small, but longish, white ridge. The only things that help are warm salt water and kaopectate mixed with liquid benadryl. On the side: I have Fibromyalgia and undiagnosed neurological problems. Please help if you possibly can! (Oh, and chocolate, toothpaste, and certain other substances irritate my entire mouth, but esp. the bump). Doc wouldn`t give me any meds.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. If an oral and maxillofacial pathologist is available, he/she would be good choice for an evaluation and any additional recommendations regarding management.

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology