Distraction, indecisiveness

11/23/2009

Question:

Hello, I am struggling with my inability to concentrate on one thing at a time and complete it. I feel unable to make a decision and stick to it- I always drift between different options. This happens from the most simple things (what to cook) to more important things in my life (like where to move to).

I also cannot do one task at a time, usually I engage in 2-3 things at the same time (e.g. cooking, watching TV, and writing my assignment). I feel very bored when I do one thing. My mind sometimes "runs" very fast only to suddenly become uninterested-bored- in what I am doing and drift to something else.

Also I have developed unhealthy eating habits (inducing vomiting). It is very frustrating and depressing, I never do something properly and I do not have control over my life at all- my life is governed by my mood which changes all the time. I feel I don’t have the power to change "it"...I am just trying to keep going. Please give your advice, I think I need help.

Answer:

You are absolutely right, and you should follow your instincts to seek help. The first step might be to get a complete physical evaluation from your regular physician because the symptoms could be caused by an endocrine or other medical condition.

Your regular doctor can also refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist for mental health evaluation of your symptoms. You can also find a psychiatrist or psychologist to evaluate your symptoms at various places, such as the clinics at university medical centers, community mental health centers, and private practitioners listed by professional societies.

The symptoms described could be due to a mood disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, other anxiety disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, a physical/neurological disorder, or some combination of those. In any event, they certainly deserve careful evaluation.

L Eugene Arnold, MD, MEd L Eugene Arnold, MD, MEd
Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry