Kidney Diseases

Morning Pain in Both Kidneys

11/24/2009

Question:

I am a 44 year old white male, 225 lbs, 5` 09", roughly 20-25 lbs overweight. Healthy, not taking any medicines, excercise 3-4 times a week, mostly elyptical machines. Lately I have been waking up 2 to 3 hours early due to lower back pain ,in the kidney areas (both sides), but when I get up after a bit the pain will go away. The pain subsides but is with me throughout the day, but still remains worse in the morning. I have not noticed any blood in the urine nor any pain (or relief for that matter) while going.I`ve increased my fluids and it`s seems to have helped,slightly.

Answer:

This type of pain is usually musculoskeletal. To determine if this coming from the kidneys would require examination investigation by a doctor. This would include a physical exam, a urine analysis and possibly blood tests. Further studies may be required depending on the results of the initial investigation.

Go to the Kidney Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas   Zipp, MD Thomas Zipp, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine