Eye and Vision Care

I Have Nysstagmus

11/19/2009

Question:

Hi I was born with nystagmus and have astigmatism. im from ohio and have a cdl drivers licens. the last time i renewed my licens. I bairly passed. Im afraid I wont this time. and ill louse my job if i dont. is there anyway I can inprove my sight even a little bet would mean a lot. and whare is the best place to go fore help. thank you

Answer:

This can be a stressful situation, but there may be some good options. 

First, it sounds as if there may have been small changes in your vision that are making it harder for you to pass the vision tests for your CDL license.  Of course, you should make sure that your glasses are up-to-date and that there are no other obvious explanations that an eye doctor might have for why you are having more trouble. 

Second, there are a couple of things besides regular glasses that can sometimes help.  You might consider asking about gas permeable contact lenses since some people with astigmatism see a little better with them.  Additionally, some people benefit a little from special eye surgery to reduce the nystagmus.

Third, you can be examined by an eye doctor who does special testing related to driving privileges in Ohio.  Specifically, you could be examined by a doctor who is part of the Ohio State University College of Optometry Network for State of Ohio BMV Vision Examinations. If you do well enough on their tests, they can sign forms so that you do not have to take the vision tests at the usual places.  To be seen by a network doctor, you may use the link to the OSU College of Optometry website (see below).

Best of luck.

OSU Environmental Vision
OSU Optometry Clinics

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Roanne   Flom, OD Roanne Flom, OD
Professor of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry