Friday, July 3, 2015
Tongue Bump and Gland Hurts
i have a large painful bump underneath the skin in the top of my tongue on the right side towards the tip. its about a half inch in size. also a gland i think under my jaw on the right side hurts. it has been like this for about a day now. what could this be?
There are a number of things that this set of symptoms could be.
- The tongue bump could be nothing more than trauma from biting the tongue.
- You may have a hematoma (bruise) that is presenting as a nodular swelling.
- You may also have a fibroma or fibrous tissue as a result of continuous tongue biting, and a small fibrous nodule has developed.
- You also may have a small lymph node that is swollen; again, a small nodular occurrence on the dorsum of the tongue.
- The swollen gland under the jaw may be a lymph node that is swollen or it may be a salivary gland that is swollen.
I would recommend that you have it evaluated by your dentist or physician to rule out an infection or other possible pathologic problems. There are many things it could be, and without examining the sites, I can only speculate on what is actually going on. Your dentist or primary care provider will be able to sort through these things and rule out any major problems
Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine
Case Western Reserve University