Urinary Disorders

Feeling Pain After Kidney Surgery

12/22/2009

Question:

I had kidney stone of size 14mm in right ureter. I had undergone surgery on sep 14, 2009 for it, but now I feel slight pain in the left side. At the time of the surgery in full scan, stone was found only in the right ureter not in left.

Just want to know whether back ache and these type of pain are common after kidney stone surgery, or I should consult the doctor for the same?

Answer:

Back pain may follow surgery for a ureteral stone (you did not say what type of surgey this was, but I presume it was ureteroscopy with laser fragmentation of the stone and stone retrieval- other treatment could be ESWL which shocks the stone to fragmentation). However, pain is typically on the side of the procedure, not the opposite side. You should discuss with your physician who may review your previous scans to determine if stone or other factor may explain your pain. Your discomfort may be due to other (non-urologic) causes and, if not improving or progressing, you should contact your physician for evaluation and treatment.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology