COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Nitro Patch and COPD

11/30/2009

Question:

I have stage 3-4 COPD and also suffer from angina ( possibly due to micro coronary artery disease). I also have very low bp normally ( syst 70`2-80`s) I recently was placed on low dose Nitro patch ( .1 mg) and besides angina relief have also noticed that my sats are staying higher and I can actually do more without getting so short of breath. It`s a wonderful benefit and I`m very surprised. Have you ever heard of this happening? I will be seeing my cardiologist after some more tests for a right sided cath to r/o pulmonary hypertension. but till then was just curious Thanks for any information

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. There is no reported effect of nitroglycerin on the airways. Nitroglycerin is a vasodilating agent that relieves tension on vascular smooth muscle and dilates peripheral veins and arteries. An improvement in symptoms related to nitroglycerin is likely due to effects on heart function and/or pulmonary hypertension.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep