Janumet good for prediabetic ?

11/30/2009

Question:

Is janumet once daily good for prediabetic person who has IGT with HbA1c around 8. Is this good drug I have information from web that the side effect profile is very low as compared to other drugs. My fasting remains 110 whereass my ppbs is less than 100.

Answer:

Janumet is a brand name of a combination pill containing 2 medications: sitagliptin which raises the blood levels of the hormone glucagon-like peptide 1 and metformin which reduces the amount of sugar released by the liver.  Metformin has been tested for the prevention of diabetes in people who would be classified now as pre-diabetes.  To my knowledge sitagliptin has not been tested for this.  It makes sense that this combination might be beneficial but I am not aware of studies which test it.  Janumet would cost considerably more than metformin alone so that cost-benefit assessment would be important.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD