Eye and Vision Care

The Eyes

12/22/2009

Question:

My husband is 66 has been battling deabetes for 20 years. He is controlling with medication and diet but lately his eyes have been diagnosed as very bad. Veins in back of eyes no longer straight. Could this ever be reversed? He has just started taking chromium.

Answer:

Diabetes can effect every part of the body including the eyes. Therefore, it is very important for everyone that is diagnosed with diabetes to have an eye exam and to return for future visits as directed by their eye doctor. Minor changes in the eye due to diabetes often do not significantly effect vision and do not require treatment. However, they are warning signs of potential future complications. More significant changes due to diabetes such as new blood vessel growth does require treatment such as a laser procedure to minimize or prevent future vision loss.

I recommend that you and your husband talk with your husband's eye doctor to better understand the complications that he is currently experiencing and to determine what treatment or follow-up schedule is warranted.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry