Infertility

Will I ever get pregnant again?

12/21/2009

Question:

In the past 7 years i`ve had a total of 5 miscarriages 2 were ectopic,The Doc had to take one of my tubes because it was laserated so bad he told me that it was a 50/50 chance i would ever get pregnant again,that was 3 years ago,we have decided to yry again this time with the help of 50mg Fertomid,do you think this will up my odds or do i even have a chance,Im 40 not getting any younger

Answer:

You appear to have two problems that might not be related. The first is recurrent miscarriages. A thorough evaluation will find a cause in more than 1/3 of women with 3 or more miscarriages. Your second problem is decreased fertility. The fact that you have not gotten pregnant in three years could be related to tubal scarring or to your age. Unfortunately, the only effective treatment for tubal scarring appears to be in vitro fertilization. As far as your age, it is more difficult to get pregnant after 40 and miscarriages are more common. It is estimated that only ΒΌ of women who try to get pregnant after 40 will be successful. The fertility pills you are taking might be of some help if you are not already ovulating. However, these pills will not help fertility problems related to tubal scarring or age. The most effective treatment for age-related infertility is in vitro fertilization with donor eggs.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology