Depression

Advice on Depression

12/14/2009

Question:

Hi for about a few years now i have been diagnosed with depression. In the begining just before my diagnosis i had a lot of issues with sleep, emotions and other various things related. After getting on the proper medication and starting an intense exercise routine i felt very mellow and happy. In the last year and a bit my exercise and medication habits have slipped, probably just do to time and personal negligence. I feel as though i need to speak with my doctor about my medication and habits. In the meantime before i set up an appointment do you have any suggestions to improving my sleep or the depression itself? Currently i am havig trouble falling asleep until like 3-5am. I am trying to stay focused for now in order to finish my undergrad. Thank You

Answer:

Possibly your quickest route to better sleep is to resume your intense exercise routine. If you do that and get yourself to bed regularly, but your falling sleep does not improve, you should call your doctor and ask for a short course of a sleep medication until you can see your doctor for a more in-depth discussion. If you can start a sleep diary and take it with you to your appointment, it will help. Good sleep by itself may relieve your depression symptoms, so persist in getting your sleep back.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program