Thyroid Diseases

Thyroglobum Antibodies are high

01/15/2010

Question:

I was recently told I had hypothyroidism and was put on Levothyroin 50 MCG.

They told me my T3 and T4 are within range (7.8), but the antibodies were 102 and should be under 20.

When I asked what that meant I was told to google it. Well I am still not sure what this means so maybe you could tell me what the high antibodies mean.

Thanks so much.

Answer:

The most common cause of hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease called "Hasimoto's thyroiditis." This is a disease in which the body's own immune system attacks the thyroid gland and slowly destroys it. Patient's with Hashimoto's thyroiditis typically have positive anti-thyroglobulin and anti-microsomal antibodies.

Thus, I think your antibody level is high because the cause of your hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Occasionally people with Hashimoto's thyroiditis can come down with other autoimmune glandular diseases like Addison's disease. Most often, however, the only problem they ever get is hypothyroidism and that, of course, is easily treated with thyroid hormone pills.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE