Women's Health

Period Starting then Stopping then Starting

12/10/2009

Question:

Hi, I`m 22 I started my period at 13. I just came off the pill a month ago because we are trying to get pregnant. I already have one child he is 14 months and I`ve been having weird pains since he was born. I am worried about some kind of permanent damage and every little thing is scaring me now. I`ve been checked for infections and I had an ultrasound done (nothing) I have not seen an expert only a family doctor. The reason for this question is I started my period thanksgiving day it was very red and heavy for one day and then light and normal, very little cramping (which is strange for me) it stopped monday which is extremely short for me I usually have periods that last 6 to 8 days. Then today (friday) I started again. It is brown and light no cramping at all yet. I am hoping that this is all from coming off the pill but like I said I`m paranoid right now.

Answer:

Since this last period was not normal and you are bleeding, you should perform a pregnancy test. If it is positive, you should see your health care provider as soon as possible. If it is negative, keep track of your bleeding on a calendar and make an appointment within the next 3 months.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology