Sports Medicine

Knee pain after femoral nerve block

12/29/2009

Question:

I had patella realignment suregry about 1 and a half years ago and have had pain since then and in an effort to ocntrol it, I had a femoral nerve block, injection into scar and into knee (all at the same time). Since the injection 4 months ago, I have had a huge increase in pain which increases with walking or standing.

Answer:

I am going to answer this assuming that your question is "what can I do about the pain?"

There are quite a few ways to deal with the pain.  Physical therapy can address tissue mobility. Scars, tightness in the nerves, and tightness in the muscles can all cause pain and PT can help improve the mobility in each of those tissues.  Having more strength in the leg, especially the hip, can help control pain as well.

Physical therapy can also address pain with a Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulator (TENS).  It is a simple to wear device that helps cover up the pain. It can be very helpful and has no side effects (unlike drugs).

The other option that comes to mind is acupuncture.  When done by a qualified provider, it is very safe and has been shown in research to be very helpful with pain control.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS Tammy S Wadsworth, PT MS OCS
Sports Medicine Team Member
Clinical Instructor at The School of Allied Medical Professions